[R] Unicode characters (R 2.7.0 on Windows XP SP3 and Hardy Heron)

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri May 30 18:58:53 CEST 2008

Hi,

to put it simply. Windows cannot handle utf-8 data. There is no utf-8
locale available.
If your corpus only contains Russian data, maybe English glosses etc.
you can try to set lang of Rgui.exe to Russian.
Then at least you can use grep, strsplit because they are depending
on the locales chosen.

On 30.05.2008, at 17:14, Stefan Th. Gries wrote:

> # I can do that all on Linux, but this arises in a context where
> # many other character processing issues are explained for Mac,
> # Linux, *and* Windows, and I'd hate to have to say "this one
> # thing, you can't do on Windows"

Unfortunately I have to say this quite often :)

Cheers,

--Hans