[R] How to identify overlapped items from two list and plot them?

Ben Tupper PemaquidRiver at tidewater.net
Sat May 31 23:14:40 CEST 2008

Hello,

On May 31, 2008, at 4:10 PM, ss wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a question on how to identify the overlapped items from two
> vectors:
>
>> x<-c(0,1,2)
>> y<-c(1,2,2,3)

You can use the %in% operator to return a logical vector that
indicates the overlap.

 > x<-c(0,1,2)
 > y<-c(1,2,2,3)
 > y %in% x
[1]  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE

> and plot the number of the overlapped as well as non-overlapped in a
> diagram?

I am not sure what you mean by plotting the number of overlaps.  Do
you mean show the overlaps with a special symbol?  Or do you want to
just show the number?

If it is the former, perhaps the following would do?

 > plot(x,rep(1,length(x)), xlim = c(0,5))
 > points(y, rep(1,length(y)), pch = "+")
 > iy = which(y %in% x)
 > points(y[iy], rep(1,length(iy)), pch = "+", col = "red")

Cheers,
Ben
Ben