[R] Is there a way to vectorize this? [with correction]

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sat Nov 1 17:20:52 CET 2008

Nutter, Benjamin wrote:
> ** Sorry to repost.  I forgot to include a function necessary to make
> the example work **
>
> I apologize up front for this being a little long. I hope it's
> understandable.  Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
>
> Several months ago I wrote a series of functions to help me take my R
> analyses and build custom reports in html files.  Each function either
> builds or modifies a string of html code that can then be written to a
> file to produce the desired output.
>
> To make modifications in the html code, I've placed 'markers' around
> certain characteristics that I might want to change.  For instance, the
> alignment characteristics have an 'algnmark' on either side of them.
> When I wish to change the alignment, I can find where these markers are,
> determine their location, and replace the contents between them.
>
> I've been using the functions for a few months now, and am pleased with
> the utility.  Unfortunately, as I was writing these, I wasn't very
> strong with my vectorization skills and relied on for loops (lots of for
> loops) to get through the work.  So while I'm pleased with the utility,
> I've been trying to optimize the functions by vectorizing the for loops.
>
> At this point, I've hit a small snag.  I have a situation where I can't
> seem to figure out how to vectorize the loop.  Part of me wonders if it
> is even possible.
>
> The scenario is this:  I run a string of code through the loop, on each
> pass, the section of code in need of modification is identified and the
> changes are made.  When this is done, however, the length of the string
> changes.  The change in length needs to be recognized in the next pass
> through the loop.

At a quick glance, it seems  merely trying to transform each instance of

   algnmark  align=left algnmark

   algnmark  align=right algnmark

If so, you are going about this in an unnecessarily complicated manner.

html.text = function(text, new.align)
  gsub("algnmark  align=[a-z]+ algnmark",
        paste("algnmark  align=", new.align, " algnmark", sep = ""),
        text)

would be much more explicit about what you are doing.

You actually want to be more specific about this and
replace only within <.... >, i.e. html elements.

You might benefit from a package like R2HTML and using that
to generate the content.
However, building reports by building strings containing markup and
content/text seems simple and is easy to get started, but actually
becomes complicated.  You might look at Sweave, or alternatively
build the document directly yourself using tools designed for
creating HTML (or XML).
You can use xmlParse(), newXMLNode() and friends in the XML package
to read an empty template document and then add new nodes, etc.
When you use this approach, you can access individual nodes and
change them without having to work with the entire content.

Alternatively, in a few weeks, we'll release some tools for working
directly with .docx and .xslx and modifying their content.

  D.