[R] Splitting device for ggplots?

Vitalie Spinu vitosmail at rambler.ru
Mon Nov 3 10:00:05 CET 2008

Thanks Baptiste and Hadley,

That viewports mechanism is indeed extremely versatile when it comes to
publication or designing new plot functions. But for interactive analysis
all these "pushing" and "popping" is just a way too much code - for each
plot at least two additional grid functions, one plot variable and
explicit print with location are required. For just 10 plots it's already
a page or so of redundant code.

It would be really wonderful  if classic mfrow or layout mechanism were
implemented for lattice and ggplots.

The simplest trick I could think of for myself is to overwrite the print
method for ggplots and to append execution of a custom function
(gg.postplot say) which would do "popping" and "pushing" into next sell in
grid.layout.

Vitalie.