[R] standard errors for predict.nls?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 17:37:44 CET 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Ben Bolker wrote:

> Christoph Scherber <Christoph.Scherber <at> agr.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> Is there a way to retrieve standard errors from nls models?
>> The help page tells me that arguments
>> such as se.fit are ignored...
>>
>> Many thanks and best wishes
>> Christoph
>
>  I have written some reasonably generic
> delta-function code that can in principle
> do this.  I have been thinking about contributing it, if R-core
> thinks it's worthwhile, but I haven't gotten around to incorporating
> it into a version of predict.nls yet.  In the meantime, if you

In general using the delta method (which is I guess what you mean, local
linearization via derivatives) is nowhere near accurate enough to be
useful.  That's why it has not been done on several occasions in the past.
If you think it might be, see ?delta.method in package alr3.

I would suggest using simulation/bootsrapping to explore the uncertainty.
There is an example in MASS of doing so (and that illustrates some of the
pitfalls).