[R] Problem: Sweave and math environments

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 4 22:27:56 CET 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11/4/2008 9:15 AM, Sarah Goslee wrote:
>> I'm sure there are a variety of ways around this. My chosen solution
>> is to replace
>>
>> mydata$somevar
>> with
>> mydata[, "somevar"]
>>
>> Sarah
>>

> You should almost never need to modify valid R code to work with Sweave.
> (There are a few exceptions:  code that illustrates errors, or code that
> requires interaction with a user, etc.)
>
> There's nothing wrong with including mydata$somevar in an Sweave code chunk.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

There is nonetheless a point to what she is suggesting. In my experience
the $ tends to confuse the editor so the highlighting gets confused
amongst other things

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics