[R] Memory limits for large data sets

Alan Cohen CohenA at smh.toronto.on.ca
Wed Nov 5 20:53:35 CET 2008

Hello,

I have several very large data sets (1-7 million observations, sometimes hundreds of variables) that I'm trying to work with in R, and memory seems to be a big issue.  I'm currently using a 2 GB Windows setup, but might have the option to run R on a server remotely.  Windows R seems basically limited to 2 GB memory if I'm right; is there the possibility to go much beyond that with server-based R?  In other words, am I limited by R or by my hardware, and how much might R be able to handle if I get the hardware necessary?

Also, any possibility of using web-based R for this kind of thing?

Cheers,
Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen
Post-doctoral Fellow