[R] trouble with html help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 6 08:07:43 CET 2008

Please note that a more accurate subject line would be

'Problems with links generated by the search page in HTML help in <insert
your browser here> on obsolete versions of R'

The problem is almost certainly your browser, not R.  Later versions (>=
2.7.2) of R mention this in the R-admin manual and provide a direct link
to the search page on the Rgui menu.  The current manual says (Appendix D)

   There is a known issue with Firefox 3 (and 3.0.1). The links in the
   results page may point to the wrong directory level. This is a bug in
   the way Firefox is interpreting relative URLs, and can be circumvented
   by opening the HTML search page (.../doc/html/SearchEngine.html)
   directly rather than from .../doc/html/index.html as shown by
   help.start().

and on Windows the CHANGES file for 2.7.2 says

     o   Rgui has a new menu item 'Html search page' on the Help menu,
         which goes directly to the HTML search form.  This is needed
         by users of Firefox 3, which generates incorrect links in
         search results when the page is accessed via the 'Html help'
         menu item (or via help.start()).

The R posting guide asked you to update *before* posting, and that would
have solved this for you by providing workarounds.  We cannot workaround
future bugs in other software, but we have been kind enough to do so in
subsequent versions of R.  (You would also have found this in the mailing
list archives.)

This issue is known from Firefox 3 (but not even its betas) and other
browsers based on the same version of the Gecko engine.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Samu Mäntyniemi wrote:

> I have this problem with R 2.6.1 and 2.7.1 (have not tried others) running on
> Windows XP:
>
> Html help has wrong links to help files.

That's not what your evidence shows.  It shows that the HTML help search
page generates links that your browser interprets incorrectly.

> The index.html is correctly found
> from
>
> file:///C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-26~1.1/doc/html/index.html
>
> as well as the search engine
>
> file:///C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-26~1.1/doc/html/search/SearchEngine.html
>
> However, when I search for, say, "paste", I will be pointed to
>
> file:///C:/PROGRA~1/R/library/base/html/paste.html

Even that is not correct: the search engine generates a relative URL,
which the browser has incorrectly interpreted relative to its start page
and not the current page.