[R] rmpi/snow/sge/openmpi help

Markus Schmidberger schmidb at ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Nov 7 20:54:06 CET 2008

Hi,

This is probably a better list for your question. Do not forgett, first
of all you have to register: https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-hpc

Did you tried to run openmpi and R without SGE?
Like this: "orterun -n 1 R --no-save"

I think openmpi / orterun do not get the correct hostfile. Therefore it
starts with a default hostfile and this is only for the local machine!
So all nodes are at the same machine.
It normally works like this that SGE creates a hostfile and puts the
path of the hostfile to a special (environment) variable. Now you have
to  make sure that the correct hostfile will be used. So SGE should call
something like this:
"ortrun -n 1 --hostfile $PATH_TO_HOSTFILE R --so-save"

Best
Markus