[R] Umlaut read from csv-file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 8 08:01:34 CET 2008

We have no idea what you understood (you didn't tell us), but the help
says

encoding: character vector.  The encoding(s) to be assumed when 'file'
           is a character string: see 'file'.  A possible value is
           '"unknown"': see the ‘Details’.

      This paragraph applies if 'file' is a filename (rather than a
      connection).  If 'encoding = "unknown"', an attempt is made to
      guess the encoding.  The result of 'localeToCharset()' is used as
      a guide.  If 'encoding' has two or more elements, they are tried
      in turn until the file/URL can be read without error in the trial
      encoding.

So source(encoding="latin1") says the file is encoded in Latin-1 and
should be re-encoded if necessary (e.g. in  UTF-8 locale).

Setting the Encoding of parsed character strings is not mentioned.

You could have written out a data frame with write.csv() and re-read it
with read.csv(encoding = "latin1"): that was the workaround you were given
earlier (not to use source).