[R] Parsing regular expressions differently - feature request

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Sat Nov 8 23:43:58 CET 2008

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>> Here's a quick hack to achieve the impossible:
>
> That might solve John's problem, but I doubt it.  As far as I can see
> it won't handle \L, for example.

well, it was not supposed to.  it addresses the need for doubling
backslashes when a backslash character is an element of the regex.

foo = "foo\\n\n"

grep("\n", foo, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
mygrep("\n", foo, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
# both match the newline

grep("\\n", foo, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
mygrep("\\n", foo, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
# both match (guess what)

bar = "bar\n"

grep("\n", bar, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
mygrep("\n", bar, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
# both match the newline

grep("\\n", bar, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
mygrep("\\n", bar, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
# counterintuitively, grep matches (intuitively, it should match
backslash-n, not a newline, but there's just a newline in bar) -- i do
know why it matches, but i'm pretty sure for many of those who do it's
an inconvenient detail, and for those who don't it's a confusing annoyance

zee = "zee\\"

grep("\\", zee, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
mygrep("\\", zee, perl=TRUE, value=TRUE)
# grep fails, needs "\\\\"

conclusion?  i'd opt for mygrep in my own code; i guessed this was what
john wanted, therefore the post.

vQ