[R] Election Maps

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sun Nov 9 02:07:29 CET 2008

I've been marginally curious about this since 2004, and
spent a little time providing the beginnings of a port
which gives the basic facilities of Mark Newman's code
in R.  There is a package on the Omegahat repository
via

   install.packages("Rcartogram", repos = "http://www.omegahat.org/R",
                       type = "source")

( You will first need to have libfftw3 installed.  And there is no
Windows build yet. )

  Due to very limited time availability, it is currently reasonably
bare-bones, following the interface provided by Mark, but from within R
and providing a predict() method. But there may be problems, and I
haven't had the time to work on creating the map of the US states.

  Feedback, changes, enhancements, examples, etc. encouraged.

   D.