[R] ubuntu system refuses to update packages

Leon Yee yee.leon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 06:45:13 CET 2008

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 9 November 2008 at 20:35, Alan Jackson wrote:
> | There must be a simple answer to this.
> |
> | I'm running ubuntu gutsy, currently have 2.7.2 loaded, but the update
> | tools refuse to update it, and don't tell me why. With apt-get I get :
> |
> | [668 ~]$ sudo apt-get -u -V --simulate dist-upgrade
> | Reading package lists... Done
> | Building dependency tree
> | Reading state information... Done
> | Calculating upgrade... Done
> | The following packages have been kept back:
> |    r-base (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
> |    r-base-core (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
> |    r-base-dev (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
> |    r-cran-rpart (3.1.41-1gutsy0 => 3.1.42-1gutsy0)
> |    r-recommended (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
> | 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
> |
> | If I use a gui package manager, it tells me the update will break
> | the installation and refuses to go forward, but doesn't show what the
> | issue is.
>
> In cases like this just take the set of packages and pass them directly to
> 'sudo apt-get install' ie
>
>    $ sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-core r-base-dev r-cran-rpart r-recommended
>
> which will show which packages this will install (as new), upgrade, or
> remove, if any.  It still allows you to pack out if you so choose.
>
> In this case it is probably 'just' a fortran or c++ library transition.  If
> you are still running gutsy you are also now two Ubuntu releases behind so
> you may want to consider upgrading to hardy and/or intrepid.
>
> By the way, this would have a good question for the r-sig-debian list.
>
> Hth, Dirk

Hi,

    I encountered similar problems:

apt-get install r-base-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

   r-base-core: Depends: tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not installable
                Depends: tk8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

/etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-security restricted main
multiverse universe

deb http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main
deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main
deb http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main
deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main

deb http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/linux/ubuntu gutsy/

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe main
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe main

It seems that R2.8.0 for gutsy is built on a system with tcl8.5 and
tk8.5, which is not available in gutsy?

Best wishes,
Leon