[R] is there a way to use "aov" to do mixed linear models with both random and fixed effects?

Michael comtech.usa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:22:16 CET 2008

if I do:

yyy=aov(Y~A*B*C);

it seems that the three way ANOVA is based on all fixed-effects.

There is no way to signal to "aov" the A and B are random effects and
C is fixed effect; or A is random and B and C are fixed?

Moreover, I guess I will need the Expected Mean Squares in order to do
the F-test, where can I obtain these Expected Mean Squares in R?

And is there a command that directly give me the F-tests?

Any good tutorial for mixed linear models in R(e.g. the three-way
ANOVA with two random factors as mentioned above, etc. )

Thanks a lot!