[R] TimeZone Help - Finding TimeZone codes

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 10 22:23:30 CET 2008

See ?Sys.timezone, which help.search("timezone") points you to.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, stephen sefick wrote:

> I have looked at
> ?as.POSIXct

That also links to Sys.timezone from the 'tz' argument.

> ?POSIXct
> and many of the references that are on those pages.
>
> I am bewildered with timezones.  Is there a way to get what would go
> into tz="" for making a function that uses POSIXct to be able to be
> used in all of the timezones in just the united states?  This is for
> both windows and mac...

There are rather a lot of timezones in the United States (sic), down to
individual counties.

For both Windows (sic) and Mac OS (sic) R uses the Olsen database, and so
timezones are best specfied by "America/<city name>" for city names, plus
"America/Kentucky/{Louisville,Monticello}"