[R] Question about Sort

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 17:40:31 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Wen Huang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is an option to control how R sort characters on
> different machines.

Yes, and it is described on the help page for sort:

      The sort order for character vectors will depend on the collating
      sequence of the locale in use: see 'Comparison'. The sort order
      for factors is the order of their levels (which is particularly
      appropriate for ordered factors).

and do study the cross-reference and its references.

Sorting on Mac OS X in UTF-8 locales seems broken (that is, the standard C
functions compare in Unicode point order irrespective of language): we are
working on a solution (the use of ICU. which can be compiled into R >=
2.8.0).

> For example, on my Mac OS X
>
>> sort(c("H", "a"), decreasing = TRUE)
>
> The same command on a Linux machine gives me
>> sort(c("H", "a"), decreasing = TRUE)
>
> I don't know if there is an option to control the behavior of 'sort'.

Well, the posting guide did ask you to do your homework, including reading
the help pages.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk