[R] Citing R in journal articles (or the failure to)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Nov 12 02:22:38 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Kinoko wrote:

> Just  a few words...
> I usually cite softwares, especially if they are opensource (and
> encourage everyone to do so).
> Of course I would not append references for rkward or kile to my bib
> (neither word or excel).
>
> While the response of the researcher using your software is not
> convincing, you can easily check
> if it is the journal's deliberate policy to exclude software
> references - e.g. to save space

Even in that case I usually try to insist on citing software. Sometimes
citation of the manual, or a corresponding paper (e.g., in JSS, R News,
JCGS, CSDA, COST, ...) let's sneak it in even if the journal usually does
not have software references.

> - or it was simply the author's ignorance why
> your package was not cited.
> The latter case seems to be more likely though.
>
> In defense of the 'ignorant' author, it should be noted that it is not
> always clear how to cite a software.
> For example, neither typing citation(tweedie),

If you quote the argument, it works:

R> citation("tweedie")
To cite package 'tweedie' in publications use:

   Peter K Dunn (2007). tweedie: Tweedie exponential family models. R
   package version 1.5.2.

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

   @Manual{,
     title = {tweedie: Tweedie exponential family models},
     author = {Peter K Dunn},
     year = {2007},
     note = {R package version 1.5.2},
   }

ATTENTION: This citation information has been auto-generated from the
package DESCRIPTION file and may need manual editing, see
'help("citation")' .

One could complement that by a
   url = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=tweedie}

This could for example be done in a CITATION file (as suggested in my
previous mail) which would also remove the "ATTENTION" message at the end
of the citation() output.

> nor browsing through
> tweedie's documentation tells me
> how to cite it (of course, as a last resort I can mail the  author of
> the package).
> Probably I would not be so helpless if we were in the same research
> field though.
>
> Related to this, can offer some explanation how to figure out the
> citations of packages in publications?

See ?citation for details.