[R] licensing of R packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 14 11:47:27 CET 2008

On 14/11/2008 4:42 AM, Carlos Ungil wrote:
> I know the standard answer to this kind of question is "get legal
> advice from a lawyer", but I would like to hear the (hopefully
> informed) opinion of other people.
>
> I would say that, according to the FSF's interpretation of the GPL,
> any R code using GPL packages can be distributed legally only using
> GPL-compatible licenses.

I think they are talking about cases where the GPL libraries are
compiled into the new product.  Packages generally don't include copies
of anything from R, so our GPL doesn't apply to them.  (Writers may have
chosen to copy and modify base functions; if so, they are copying our
code, and the GPL would apply.)

Duncan Murdoch