[R] licensing of R packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 14 17:16:35 CET 2008

On 11/14/2008 11:01 AM, Berwin A Turlach wrote:
> G'day Bazza,
>
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:07:11 +0000
> "Barry Rowlingson" <b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  A "strict" interpretation of the GPL does not stop numerit from doing
>> what they do. They do not distribute the GSL in any form. They tell
>> you to go get the GSL dll from somewhere.
>>
>>  This misconception of the license terms comes about because of the
>> use of the word 'use'. If I distribute a short C program that has a
>> call in it to a function that has the same name as something in the
>> GSL, does my C program use the GSL? No. Maybe it _mentions_ the GSL,
>> but the GPL has no problems with that. I'm distributing my C program,
>> and not the GPL-covered code, so I can license it how I like.
>
> I do not believe the situation is as easy as you put it.  But, IANAL
> and the last time I entered a discussion about the GPL I was reminded
> that the GPL is about distribution rights and was corrected on some
> issues.
>
> But I remember that a situation as you describe was hotly debated on
> gnu.misc.discuss in the mid-90s; thus, I am talking obviously GPL 2.
> Unfortunately I do not remember which software/company was involved and
> how the dispute was solved.  But they did something like you
> described:  distributed a binary and asked the user to download
> additionally some GPL software and then run both together.  If this
> were allowed, the GPL would have a hole in it that you could drive a
> truck through. :)

If the binary being released had no GPL content in it, then there would
be no basis to complain about anything.  I'd guess that the particular
case required GPL'd headers in order to compile.  That would be enough
to say that the binary includes GPL'd code.

Similarly, if a package needs GPL'd R headers to compile, then it might
need to be released under the GPL.  But the public R headers are LGPL,
not GPL.

Duncan Murdoch