[R] Mathematica now working with Nvidia GPUs --> any plan for R?

Mose mose.andre at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 08:25:48 CET 2008

GPU architecture is different enough from CPU architecture that you
don't need 10s of GPUs to see a performance benefit over today's, say,
8 core CPUs.  Lots of GPUs now give you a (relatively cheap)
"supercomputer" -- look up nVidia's Tesla marketing mumbo jumbo.  One
GPU still gives you a 'heckuva job'.

>From Wikipedia's GPU page, speaking on modern general purpose GPUs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit

"Typically the performance advantage is only obtained by running the
single active program simultaneously on many example problems in
parallel using the GPU's SIMD architecture[11]. However, substantial
acceleration can also be obtained by not compiling the programs but
instead transferring them to the GPU and interpreting them there[12].
Acceleration can then be obtained by either interpreting multiple
programs simultaneously, simultaneously running multiple example
problems, or combinations of both. A modern GPU (e.g. 8800 GTX) can
readily simultaneously interpret hundreds of thousands of very small
programs."

The first sentence, you can imagine, applies to some a lot of matrix work.

There are BLAS libraries for some GPUs (e.g. CUDA BLAS).  You can
probably imagine having R use it.  Ahmed El Zein has a poster about
his presentation "Performance Evaluation of the NVIDIA GeForce 8800
GTX GPU for Machine Learning" that gives some more interesting info.

-Mose