[R] Access violation when calling Front41

Arne Henningsen arne.henningsen at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 23:43:14 CET 2008

Hi Siyi!

My answer is late but I hope that it is not too late.

On Friday 13 June 2008 16:04, Siyi FENG wrote:
>   Hello! When I tried to call Front41 in R, I met some problem. After I
> entered: system ('front41.exe'),  an error occured :
>
> "jwe0019i-u The program was terminated abnormally with Exception Code
> EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
> error summary (Fortran)
> error number  error level  error count
>   jwe0019i         u           1
> total error count = 1

Unfortunately, I don't know the reason for the error message.

> How can i deal with it?

I suggest that you use the new R package "frontier"  that is available on CRAN
[1] and R-Forge [2]. It includes the FORTRAN code of Tim Coelli's
software "Frontier 4.1" (front41.exe). Hence, the R package "frontier" should
have the same capabilities as "Frontier 4.1".

[1] http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/frontier/index.html
[2] http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/frontier/

Best wishes,
Arne