[R] generate random number

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Thu Nov 20 12:24:56 CET 2008

check the following code:

# settings
n <- 100 # number of sample units
p <- 10 # number of repeated measurements
N <- n * p # total number of measurements
t.max <- 3

# parameter values
betas <- c(0.5, 0.4, -0.5, -0.8) # fixed effects (check also 'X' below)
sigma.b <- 2 # random effects variance

# id, treatment & time
id <- rep(1:n, each = p)
treat <- rep(0:1, each = n/2)
time <- seq(0, t.max, length.out = p)

# simulate random effects
b <- rnorm(n, sd = sigma.b)

# simulate longitudinal process conditionally on random effects
time.rep <- rep(time, n)
treat.rep <- rep(treat, each = p)
X <- cbind(1, treat.rep,
     time.rep, treat.rep * time.rep) # fixed effects design matrix
muY <- plogis(c(X %*% betas) + b[id]) # conditional probabilities
y <- rbinom(N, 1, muY) # simulate binary responses

# put the simulated data in a data.frame
simulData <- data.frame(
     id = id,
     y = y,
     treat = treat.rep,
     time = time.rep
)

# fit the model
library(glmmML)
fit <- glmmML(y ~ treat * time, data = simulData, cluster = id)
summary(fit)

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris