[R] Dequantizing

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 20 18:31:43 CET 2008

I'm rather doubtful that you can improve on the uniform  jittering
strategy
you originally considered.  It would require intimate knowledge about
the non-uniformity of the density in the spacings between your
quantized version.
But if you really _knew_ the parent distribution
then something like the following might have been what you had
in mind:

# Toy dequantization example
rate <- 1
x <- sort(rexp(100,rate))
xu <- x + runif(100)
y <- floor(x)
ty <- table(y)
p <- c(0,cumsum(table(y)/length(y)))
pup <- p[-1]
plo <- p[-length(p)]
fun <- function(ty,plo,pup) qexp(runif(ty,plo,pup),rate)
z <- unlist(mapply(fun, ty = ty, plo = plo, pup = pup))

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820