[R] Calculating correlation for a big matrix

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 21 04:02:58 CET 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, A Ezhil wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a matrix of size 10000 x 50. I would like to calculate all
> possible pair-wise correlation coefficient (5x10^7 combinations) using
> cor(). How can I efficiently calcualte and save the result in a matrix?

By using cor()??

 	res <- cor( t( mat ) )

only takes about 10 seconds on my laptop.

To save() the result takes much longer as does load()ing the result back
into fresh session. Save 'mat' instead and do the calculation on the fly
as needed.

HTH,

Chuck

p.s. please read the Posting Guide and do not repost the same msg.