[R] Conditionally Removing data from a vector

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at wzw.tum.de
Fri Nov 21 20:24:56 CET 2008

> I am having trouble removing entries from a vector based on the value of the
> vector and another object value.  It works in my pseudo test run:
>
> DEV=400
> #Y
> CANDS=c(100:105)
> #Z
> DEVS=c(120,220,320,420,520)
> 	if(DEV>DEVS)
> 		 (CANDS=CANDS[which(DEV<DEVS)])
>      CANDS DEVS
> [1,]   100  120
> [2,]   101  220
> [3,]   102  320
> [4,]   103  420
> [5,]   104  520
> [6,]   105  620

The above code does not produce the output you show when I
paste it into R. It would be highly desirable to have a short,
documented, working example...

> So the result  CANDS is 103, 104 and 105 b/c the corresponding DEVS are
> larger than the DEV(400 in this case).

How do they correspond? Do you mean they are both columns of a
data.frame as your example output suggests? But CANDS and DEVS
are of differnt length, so this is probably not what you meant.
Finally, your code seems to indicate that you want all elements
of CANDS for which the corresponding (?) value of DEVS is less
than threshold DEV, but only if DEV>DEVS. The latter produces a
warning, as you are comparing a single value to a vector of 5,
which is most likely not what you want. At this point my
confusion is perfect and I give up.

I think you need to give us a better explanantion of what data
you have and what exactly you want to accomplish.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl für Genomorientierte Bioinformatik