[R] Basic question on concatenating factors

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 15:40:33 CET 2008

You do have to read a little further on the help page to make sure
that duplicates are removed if they appear after, and not before,
others in the vector to see that the order is preserved:

"Note that unlike the Unix command uniq this omits duplicated and not
just repeated elements/rows. That is, an element is omitted if it is
identical to any previous element and not just if it is the same as
the immediately previous one. "

This does make it clear that the original order is preserved since it
is succeeding elements that are removed.  So from this, I assume that
the use of

unique(x,y)

does preserve the original ordering of the elements.