[R] R and the Web: A small Wordpress plugin RwebFriend

Xiaoxu LI lixiaoxu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 20:05:04 CET 2008

Ajay and R fans,

I'll never think my several lines of simplest PHP codes can be
something great. They only shortcut Rweb and wordpress. But, SaaS is
really wonderful. If only some R web interface can be smartly deployed
in an integrated network of servers, say, current global server
services donated to CRAN.

Recently I also contributed some wiki content on one wiki provided by
Prof Sigbert Klinke--
http://mars.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/mediawiki/slides/index.php/Comparison_of_noncentral_and_central_distributions
I even "spammed" some related wikipedia entries with the link. All
online or hardcopy statistics tables must be obsolete when we can work
a wiki page to provide interactive critical values.

Factually I am a newbie to server-side technologies. I tried but
failed to setup Klinke's R extension plugin for the DIYed wiki service
on my window XP local host. My earlier plan was to collaborate with my
graduate students to write online Chinese statistical textbook
chapters that themselves are interactive GUI with exemplifications,
implemented with transparent R. There must have been some similar
textbooks in German on http://mars.wiwi.hu-berlin.de:8080/mediawiki

With SaaS tides there is another phenomenon described in Steven J.
Vaughan-Nichols' "Who writes Linux: Corporate America". R packages and
wikipedia pages are still mostly contributed by unpaid fans, while
Linux and OpenOffice are mostly written by hired programmers. Ajay's
cloud computation idea for R seems more appropriate to R's future
corporate rivals. The collaboration on codes is a little different
from collaboration on text contents in wikipedia. Codes of a cloud
frame might exceed the typical scale limit of single or small team of
contributor.

Xiaoxu