[R] Check for date variable in a arbitrary dataset

Harsh singhalblr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 08:28:04 CET 2008

Thank you Gabor for your prompt reply.

I had tried checking for class, but it returns three types of my
dataset, which are numeric, integer and character.
The problem with that is, I need to classify some columns as
categorical and in doing so I have a cut off of 100 or less unique
values in the column/variable.

In case of dates, I cannot consider it to be categorical, since in a
100,000 row dataset, dates will take more than 100 unique values, and
checking for its class will return character.
If i could somehow know it was a date, then I could provide a Time
Series analysis for it.
The same may hold true for, example serial number.

I tried using regexpr to check for the presence of "/" OR "-" to check
for it being a date column, but it returns the presence of the first
"/" which if is at the position 3, could mean a date format of
dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy.

This would be a long winded approach, and I am looking for something
more efficient.

Thank you for your time.

Harsh Singhal