[R] Compiling R for 64-bit Windows (was Re: increasing memory limit in Windows Server 2008 64-bit)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Nov 25 09:41:34 CET 2008

Michael Styer wrote:
> I did some more research and I think I've answered my own question.
>
> So my next question is, does anyone have any thoughts about how
> significant a project it would be to compile R for 64-bit windows
> (using, e.g., the Portland Group compiler)?
>
> How much of the code would need to be changed to get around the issue
> with longs?
>
> I think this is probably beyond the scope of my project but I should
> make sure before I give up.

It isn't the path of least resistance. If you want 64 bit processing for
a specific task, it is much easier to set up a machine with one of the
64 bit Linux variants. Several of these even have precompiled R packages
(as in .rpm/.deb/..., not as in CRAN).

That said, there is at least one commercial company who intends to get
the Win64 issues sorted for at least one commercial compiler, and I
understand that they will submit patches back to the R source tree.
Presumably, this will allow the adventurous user to get the same
toolchain and compile his own version, but in a cool-headed cost-benefit
analysis, the commercial option might still have an edge. (The company
should write their own advertising, but I think this pretty well
illustrates the current balance of things.)