[R] row labels in heatmap.2(package gplots)

Jun Ding dingjun_cn at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 20:19:35 CET 2008

Dear R users,

I have a question regarding how to make row labels readable in a heat map.

I have successfully made a heat map using function "heatmap.2" in the package "gplots". However, as there are many rows in the heat map, I have difficulties labeling them (heatmap.2 provides a parameter "labRow" to label the row names, but as I have too many rows, I can not make them readable). Do you have any suggestions to improve the labeling?

I am thinking about using multiple columns to label the row names instead of one column(the default in heatmap.2). I have tried to use "mtext" to write texts on the margin of the heat map, but it could not work either. Do you think this can work? How can I know the coordinates of each row in a heat map?

Thank you very much!

Jun