[R] Examples of advanced data visualization

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Fri Nov 28 22:13:04 CET 2008

Hans W. Borchers wrote:

> Dear R-help,
>
> I am looking for ideas and presentations of new and advanced data visualization
> methods. As an example of what I am searching for, the 'Many Eyes' pages at
>
>     http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/
>
> may provide a good paradigm. I would be interested even if it will not be easy
> to implement such examples in R, e.g. because of the interactive nature of these
> graphical displays.

The question is interesting, but what I have a somewhat negative
reaction to is the next passage:

> Please answer to my e-mail address. In case enough interesting material comes
> up, I will enter a summary here.

It is nice that you are willing to summarize whatever appears, but
somewhat arrogant in my eyes.  There might be things appearing that you
do not regard as of first interest that might be of interest to others.
  Therefore, the all parts of the discussion or responses should be
public as well.  The response of David Winsemius pointing at (among
other things) at the presentation of Rosling at TED is in my eyes a very
good start.

In other words, I therefore suggest that the list ignores the last
paragraph in the question from you.

> Hans Werner Borchers
> ABB Corporate Research

Tom