[R] using survey weights for correlations

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Nov 30 22:00:50 CET 2008

Dear Steve,

You can use svyvar() in the svy package to compute a covariance matrix that properly reflects the weights (and other details of the sampling design), and from this, using cov2cor(), a correlation matrix (if you want that too). You should get consistent estimates from sem() in the sem package (assuming that's what you were planning to use), but standard errors and statistical tests won't be right. You should be able to get valid inferences by bootstrapping, making proper allowance for the weights in resampling.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology