[R] for loop question Documentation and its application for calculating euclidean distance on MDS ordination axis scores

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:39:02 CEST 2008

?for doesn't return anything help.search("for") doesn't return anything-
Is the for loop so prevelant in computer programing that the
documentation is implicit or is R paradigm to discourage the use of
the for loop.

I will post data probably tonight, but here is my problem.  I have
preformed an MDS on a set of data.  I have the scores of the four axes
that
are the optimal solution.  I want to calculate the euclidean distance
between time steps of the ordination.  My thought is to use a for
loop-
calculate distance march to april then calculate the distance from
april to may  ...  Is this the proper way of going about this

              axis1    axis2    axis3      axis4
march            3         4          6            3
april               5         7          8            5
may               7         3         1             9

thanks

Stephen

The data is at home and I will post it once I have fooled around with
the for loop - if I can not figure it out, but this is the general set
up of the problem
--
Stephen Sefick
Research Scientist

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

								-K. Mullis