[R] back transforming output from negative binomial

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Oct 2 19:25:25 CEST 2008

Adaikalavan Ramasamy wrote:
> Ben, fantastic. Thank you for confirming it.
>
> One more question. What do you call the back transformed variable?
>
> In my domain, people use something called the ratio of mean but I am not
> sure if it is the same. I am not what the "ratio" is between.

  It depends.  For the intercept, the back-transformed parameter
is essentially the geometric mean of the baseline group (assuming
you're using treatment contrasts).  For factors, the back-transf
parameters are the ratios between the means of observations at one
factor level and the mean at the baseline level.  For continuous
covariates, it's the proportional increase per unit of increase
in the covariate.