[R] Margin on trellis plot

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Mon Oct 6 13:51:49 CEST 2008

> I have a problem when I make a trellis plot - I would like to reduce
> the white margin surrounding the plot.
>
> I used S some years age, as I remember it was possible to use the
> "par" and "oma" to control margin size even on a trelllis plot (see
> the plot below).
>
> However, it does not seem to work in R.

par is used with base graphics.  Changing the par settings will not
usually affect grid/lattice graphics.  See ?trellis.par.set and, for
example, http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/Splus/faq/trellis_pars.htm or "R
Graphics",chapter 4, by Paul Murrell.

In the code below, pick any number less than 1 for the padding values to
decrease it from the default.

xyplot(conc ~ Time | Subject,
   data = Theoph,
   aspect="fill",
   par.settings=list(
      layout.widths=list(left.padding=0, right.padding=0),
      layout.heights=list(top.padding=0, bottom.padding=0)))

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit
HSL