[R] horizontal boxplot + xlim

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Mon Oct 6 17:56:17 CEST 2008

> True, I made a mistake here. Still, I have problems to visualize my data
(not
> the example code I used). I just see a flat line instead a proper
plot...

> Another example code with creating a strange plot:
>
> x <- rnorm(100) + 100
> maxval <- max(x)
> boxplot(x, notch=TRUE, xlim = c(0,maxval), horizontal = TRUE)

When you use horizontal=TRUE, the meanings of the xlim and ylim arguments
to boxplot are swapped.  Thus xlim affects the range of the vertical axis.
 Take a look at

boxplot(x, notch=TRUE, ylim = c(0,maxval))
and
boxplot(x, notch=TRUE, ylim = c(0,maxval), horizontal = TRUE)

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit
HSL