[R] R and computer heat

Alexandre Aguiar asaguiar at spsconsultoria.com
Tue Oct 7 12:21:03 CEST 2008

Hi,

I noticed the temperature of my laptop rises sharply during execution of a
long R script that generates several hundred plots, all of them saved to
files. No screen output. Temps reached above 90 Celsius degrees in the box
and above 80 C deg in the processor. The machine turns on cooler at maximum
speed and exhaled air is really hot. Tried similar operations (batch
graphic and music format conversion) and temp rises were usual.

System: laptop, Turion 64, Kubuntu Linux, Xorg X server 1.4.0.90, KDE 3.5.9,
R 2.7.2 compiled with MBCS, PCRE, etc.

Could it be fake due to an interaction of some R piece with system monitors?

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Santos Aguiar, MD, SCT