[R] masking a regular lat/lon grid to extract map boundaries

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Oct 8 05:06:21 CEST 2008

Another approach that will probably be more work up front, but may be better in the long run if you are going to be doing a lot of this is to use the maptools and sp packages.  Create a spatialpointsdataframe from your data, read in a us map (there are shapefiles that you can get from the US census bureau website or other places) as a spatialpolygondataframe and use the overlay methods to subset the data.

You may want to post future questions on this topic to the R-sig-geo list for more specific help.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center