[R] trouble with character \u00e2

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Wed Oct 8 14:18:01 CEST 2008

Thank you, Professor Ripley:

Your example works for me too.

plot(1:10, xlab = "a", ylab = "â")
file.label <- "EXAMPLE 1 â vs a.xls"
savePlot(paste("diagnostic â vs a ", file.label, ".jpg",
          sep = ""), type = "jpg")

But, if I read-in the file name using file.choose() I get the same corrupted
output filename ( "diagnostic â vs a EXAMPLE 1 â vs a.xls.jpg" ) from my R
routines.  However, if I paste that same file.label as it is printed to the
screen with my input routine, replacing your "foo" (as above) things work as
they should ( "diagnostic â vs a EXAMPLE 1 â vs a.xls.jpg" ).  Furthermore,
if I again run my plotting routines after your example (like that here,
above), my routines no longer produce corrupted filenames for the saved
plots.

The trouble seems to be caused by my how I read-in the file name.  Here is a
simple example that produces a corrupted file name for the saved plot:

plot(1:10, xlab = "a", ylab = "â")
file.name <<- file.choose()
    print(file.name)
    file.label <<- basename(file.name)
savePlot(paste("diagnostic â vs a ", file.label, ".jpg",
          sep = ""), type = "jpg")

The name of my input Excel file is "EXAMPLE 1 â vs a.xls"
The problem does not occur on R < R2.7.0

I am running R2.7.2 on a 5 year old DELL box (2 Gig RAM, 3GHz Pentium 4)
with Windows XP, and have also experienced the problem on my Thinkpad laptop
(2 Gig, Intel Core2 Duo, 1.6GHz) running Vista.

Thank you for your counsel.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com