[R] plot-parameter pch without influence when plotting a data-frame

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Fri Oct 10 13:20:12 CEST 2008

Zitat von John Kane <jrkrideau at yahoo.ca>:

> --- On Thu, 10/9/08, Oliver Bandel <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > From: Oliver Bandel <oliver at first.in-berlin.de>
> > Subject: Re: [R] plot-parameter pch without influence when plotting
> a data-frame
> > To: "Gerhard Schön, UKE Hamburg" <G.Schoen at uke.de>
> > Cc: "R-help" <r-help at r-project.org>
> > Zitat von "Gerhard Schön, UKE Hamburg"
> > <G.Schoen at uke.de>:
> >
> > > what is the result of:
[...]

> Try something like
> mm <- matrix(1:128, nrow= 4)
> matplot(mm, pch=1:128)

OK, it plots some symbols, but also after plotting
there was printed a message that 24 warnings occured.

> to get some idea of what symbols are available.
>

> > Do you know how to plot very small dots?
> >  pch=20 makes dots that are too big for my plot.
>
> matplot(mm, pch=20, cex=.5)

Oh, interesting and this seems to be the solution to get small-enough
points!

I'm just playing around with cex (as plot-param and set by par())
and it is the thing I looked for. Now I can use those filled circles
and scale them down in size. :)

Thanks again,
              Oliver