[R] Creating GUIs for R

cls59 sharpsteen at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 22:38:17 CEST 2008

I have thought about wxWidgets, and I will definitely check that manual out.

My interest in Qt stems from heavy use of GIS and Fortran in my field of
study. As an Environmental Engineering student, I routinely solve simulation
and optimization problems which take as their input spatially distributed
data which is best managed using a GIS system. Most of the models are
provided by government agencies such as the USGS or the EPA and are written
in Fortran-77. R has the ability to interface with all of these systems and
to format the results into nicely typeset reports- however the integration
between all of this could be tighter.

One of the best open-source GIS systems, Quantum GIS is written in Qt and
provides great cross-platform map visualization as well as access to GRASS
and an interesting plug-in system. I'm pondering the possibility of a QGIS
plug-in which brings R (and by extension Sweave) into the picture and allows
visualization, simulation, optimization, analysis and reporting of results
all in one package.

Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate
Environmental Resources Engineering