[R] Creating GUIs for R

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at r-project.org
Mon Oct 13 19:18:13 CEST 2008

On 10/13/08, Michael Lawrence <mflawren at fhcrc.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
> >

> > On 12 October 2008 at 12:53, cls59 wrote:
> > | On a related note... does anyone know good resources for binding a C++
> > | program to the R library?
> >
> > RCpp, at http://rcpp.r-forge.r-project.org, formerly
> known as RCppTemplate,
> > is pretty mature and testing having been around since 2004 or 2005.
> > Introductory documentation could be better, feedback welcome.
> >

> > | Basically, I would like to start with just a plain vanilla R session
> running
> > | inside a Qt widget. Any suggestions?
> >

> Isn't RKWard a Qt-based GUI for R? They probably have some reusable console
> code in there.

Yes. It seems somewhat intergrated with KDE, so not easily ported.

> > Deepayan once did just that in a test application. I am not sure if that
> was
> > ever made public.

There's a webpage at

http://dsarkar.fhcrc.org/R/R-Qt.html

See the last section. It's not very active, but should be an adequate
proof of concept. This takes the approach of embedding R and creating
a GUI using the GUI callbacks described in R-exts; this works in Linux
and Mac, but not in Windows, because these callbacks are not supported
by R on Windows.

-Deepayan