[R] Fw: Logistic regresion - Interpreting (SENS) and (SPEC)

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Oct 13 20:35:13 CEST 2008

John Sorkin wrote:
> Jumping into a thread can be like jumping into a den of lions but here goes . . .
> Sensitivity and specificity are not designed to determine the quality of a fit (i.e. if your model is good), but rather are characteristics of a test. A test that has high sensitivity will properly identify a large portion of people with a disease (or a characteristic) of interest. A test with high specificity will properly identify large proportion of people without a disease (or characteristic) of interest. Sensitivity and specificity inform the end user about the "quality" of a test. Other metrics have been designed to determine the quality of the fit, none that I know of are completely satisfactory. The pseudo R squared is one such measure.
>
> For a given diagnostic test (or classification scheme), different cut-off points for identifying subject who have disease can be examined to see how they influence sensitivity and 1-specificity using ROC curves.
>
> I await the flames that will surely come my way
>
> John

John this has been much debated but I fail to see how backwards
probabilities are that helpful in judging the usefulness of a test.  Why
not condition on what we know (the test result and other baseline
variables) and quit conditioning on what we are trying to find out
(disease status)?  The data collected in most studies (other than
case-control) allow one to use logistic modeling with the correct time
order.

Furthermore, sensitivity and specificity are not constants but vary with
subjects' characteristics.  So they are not even useful as simplifying
concepts.

Frank