[R] Fw: Logistic regresion - Interpreting (SENS) and (SPEC)

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D. rbaer at atsu.edu
Mon Oct 13 22:41:03 CEST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank E Harrell Jr" <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu>
To: "John Sorkin" <jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu>
Cc: <r-help at r-project.org>; <dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de>;
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: [R] Fw: Logistic regresion - Interpreting (SENS) and (SPEC)

> John Sorkin wrote:
>> Frank,
>> Perhaps I was not clear in my previous Email message. Sensitivity and
>> specificity do tell us about the quality of a test in that given two
>> tests the one with higher sensitivity will be better at identifying
>> subjects who have a disease in a pool who have a disease, and the more
>> sensitive test will be better at identifying subjects who do not have a
>> disease in a pool of people who do not have a disease. It is true that
>> positive predictive and negative predictive values are of greater utility
>> to a clinician, but as you know these two measures are functions of
>> sensitivity, specificity and disease prevalence. All other things being
>> equal, given two tests one would select the one with greater sensitivity
>> and specificity so in a sense they do measure the "quality" of a clinical
>> test - but not, as I tried to explain the quality of a statistical model.
>
> That is not very relevant John.  It is a function of all those things
> because those quantities are all deficient.
>
> I would select the test that can move the pre-test probability a great
> deal in one or both directions.

Of course, this quantity is known as a likelihood ratio and is a function of
sensitivity and specificity.  For 2 x 2 data one often speaks of postive
likelihood ratio and negative likelihood ratio, but for multi-row
contingency table one can define likelihood ratios for a series of cut-off
points.  This has become a popular approach in evidence-based medicine when
diagnostic tests have continuous rather than binary outputs.