[R] can't R CMD INSTALL on WinXP

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 14 21:59:37 CEST 2008

Dear Andy,

In April, I reported a similar problem to the r-devel list. In my case, I
was using Windows Vista. I've just checked, and I observe the same problem
as you do with randomForest, but can get around it by installing directly
from the .tar.gz archive for the package, that is executing

	R CMD INSTALL randomForest_4.5-27.tar.gz

I'm also able to build this archive via

	R CMD BUILD randomForest

so this seems a viable workaround.

For what it's worth, I'm currently developing packages from within the
Eclipse IDE, where these problems don't seem to occur.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology