[R] Getting frustrated with RMySQL

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 14 23:32:25 CEST 2008

Ted Byers wrote on 10/14/2008 02:33 PM:
> Getting the basic stuff to work is trivially simple.  I can connect, and, for
> example, get everything in any given table.
>
> What I have yet to find is how to deal with parameterized queries or how to
> do a simple insert (but not of a value known at the time the script is
> written - I ultimately want to put my script into a scheduled task, so the
> analysis can be repeated on updated data either daily or weekly).
>
> Using "INSERT INTO myTable (a) VALUES (1)" is simple enough, but what if I
> want to insert a sample number (using, e.g. WEEK(sample_date) as a sample
> identifier) along with the rate parameter estimated using fitdistr to fit an
> exponential distribution to a dataset, along with its sd?  If I were using
> Perl or Java, I'd set up the query similar to "INSERT INTO myTable (a,b,c)
> VALUES (?,?,?)", and then use function calls to set each of the query
> parameters.  I am having an aweful time finding the corresponding functions
> in RMySQL.

I've found the best way to parameterize is using R's sprintf function.
For instance, the following query not only parameterizes the variable
position, but also the table name:

fields  <- dbGetQuery(con,sprintf("select field,elem_label from %s_meta
where field='%s'",inp$pnid,inp$field))

Best,

Jeff

--