[R] Removing characters and periods from character strings

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Oct 15 22:07:02 CEST 2008

To remove all numbers and periods at the end do:

> vars <- sub("[0-9.]+$", "", pick )

If there are other periods that this does not remove (not at the end) then you can do a second pass:

> vars <- sub("\\.", "", vars)

Part of the reason that your code for the period does not work is that an unescaped period matches any single character (hence the "\\." in the above).

You may also want to look at the unique function if you want to remove the duplicates that result.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center