[R] correlation between a discrete variable and a continuous variable

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Oct 16 18:37:04 CEST 2008

Since water quality is ordered, you could use cor.test with method of kendall or spearman.  This will basically give a test of whether the rank based correlation is significantly different from 0.  Often more interesting information can come from the data if you do some more work.  Start by graphing your data to see what is there and if anything stands out.  Then decide what you really want to learn from the data to decide what other tests to do.  If you want to predict nitrogen given water quality, then you can use lm or aov (or other related methods), if you want to predict quality given nitrogen, then possibilities include proportional odds logistic regression (polr in MASS, lrm in Design) or recursive partitioning (rpart and other packages).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center