[R] Use of .First() in Mac OS X gui

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 17 15:29:49 CEST 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Jonsen, Ian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems using .First() with the Mac OS X gui version of R 2.7.2
> (under OS X 10.5.5); .First is ignored on startup. .First() does work in the
> command-line version of R under Mac OS X but my specific task requires the
> gui version. I can find no reference to this issue in the Mac OS X FAQ or in
> other manuals, does anyone have a solution for this?

.First is a function: where are you expecting it to be loaded from?  From
.Rprofile? From .RData?  Both of those are preferentially taken from the
current working directory which is almost surely different for R.app (the
correct name for the 'gui version') and R (the command-line script).

I very much doubt '.First is ignored on startup': it is much more likely
that it is not supplied (fire up R and type .First to see if it exists).
Or, what you have in it doesn't work in R.app ....

BTW, R-sig-mac looks far more appropriate given your subject line.