[R] R CMD SHLIB: file not recognized: File format not recognized

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 19 04:00:10 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 01:27:06AM +0200, Andreas Wittmann wrote:
> Dear R useRs,
>
> on ubuntu 8.04 i try to create a shared object out of a c-file
> this is
>
> // add.c
>
> #include <Rinternals.h>
> SEXP addiere(SEXP a, SEXP b)
> {
>  int i, n;
>  n = length(a);
>  for (i = 0; i < n; i++)
>    REAL(a)[i] += REAL(b)[i];
>  return(a);
> }
>
> in terminal i type
>
> R CMD SHLIB add.c
>
> and get
>
> gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -o add.so add.o   -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
> add.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>
> my gcc version is 4.2.3 and my R version is 2.7.2.

I can't replicate that on Ubuntu 8.04:

edd at joe:/tmp$ R CMD SHLIB add.c
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O2 -c add.c -o add.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -o add.so add.o   -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
edd at joe:/tmp$

Works fine here. Have you compiled other files?  Or are you maybe
missing some -dev packages?

Dirk